Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Monroe Mountain
We decided last minute last night to take a ride on Monroe Mountain. Jason has been wanting to get up there to see "spiderman" -as they are calling this monster bull elk that is up there. We hurried and had an early dinner and got the girls in their pajamas. We loaded the truck with lots of blankets and snacks and off we went. We told Sekoya it was a long ride, but she still kept asking about every 20 minutes if we were there yet. We had such a great time!! I was a little concerned about how Katera was going to do and if we were going to have to turn back before we even made it to the elk. She did AWESOME. We were in the truck for 5 hours and she only got fussy right before we got home. That was ok since it was way past her bedtime. It probably helped that we didn't take car seats so she was free to move around in the back seat. Hey, we were on a mountain road I figured we were ok without strapping them in. Besides if they were strapped in they wouldn't have been able to see all the animals we saw. Both of the girls got so excited to see all the deer, elk, and fish. I was very skeptical about seeing any elk because whenever I go on the mountain to look for elk we never see any. All I have ever seen is a few does and small bucks in the headlights of the car. So when we turned a corner (I don't know where we were) and there stood about 50-75 elk I was very amazed. Most of them were cows and calfs, but there were a couple of bulls. We saw tons of deer too. A few of them even had horns!! Then we had to take Sekoya to see our neighbor's-Kamelle- cabin. It sits right by Monroe Meadows which is famous for lots of elk too. We drove into the meadow and there were about 10 bull elk bedded down. Way cool!! Jason tried to walk in closer and get some good pictures, but they were scared off by someone on a four wheeler. We also saw some cut throat fish spawning in Manning. We got out and watched them swim upstream in the creek. I still can't even say how well the girls did for our long ride. They loved seeing all the animals. This is something I will definitely take them to do again! We love it when Jason is home and we get to do things away from our house!!



Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a fun outing! Those are what great memories are made of.
That looks like fun. I love when you can go for the evening and not have to sleep over. Those are fun pictures.
Emily
How fun! We need to get up there!! I don't think my kids would be as good as yours for 5 hours....
Post a Comment