Sunday, May 18, 2008

Golfing, Gardening, and the Grove

Jason has been promising Sekoya for weeks now that he would take her golfing with him on the big golf course. We just haven't had a nice day that we haven't been busy with other things. Friday was finally the day. Jason and Grandpa Mike took Sekoya golfing with them for the first nine holes. Then I picked her up and they finished another nine. She loves going with Daddy and he says that she is very well behaved. Grandma Sindy asked her if she got a hole in one and her reply was, "Nope, I got a hole in thirty!!" Obviously she doesn't understand the concept of the game. Jason said when he and Mike were keeping track of their scores they would call out "4 or 5" and Sekoya would say "I got 8, I beat!!" At least she had fun!


Kacey showed up with her two boys right around lunch time. So we took them to McDonalds. After I got Katera back home and down for a nap they came out to our house and played on the swing set, trampoline, and caught bugs. Only it was so hot we didn't last outside for very long. I have been complaining for so long about it being cold, but now it just got hot. There was no in between. Oh, well as the preschool teachers say- You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.


Saturday was busy!! I woke up early, 8 am, and got going on our ward garden. Six of us girls in the ward decided to do a garden together on some ground that was volunteered by my wonderful neighbor and relief society counselor. As soon as Sekoya woke up and found out where I was she got dressed and came over to scold me for not telling her I was leaving. And to help. She poured water in all of our holes for the plants as we were planting them. We planted a little bit of everything.... corn, tomatoes, onions, peppers, radishes, beets, beans, cilantro, carrots, squash, peas. After three hours of that I ran home for a quick shower and went to the primary activity- wet hair and all. Came home from the activity and had lunch, then back to the garden to make sure the watering was going OK. I helped Deidre Jenkins tend the water all day every two hours. We got the kids to bed and then I ran and did my grocery shopping. I was very sunburned after all that time in the sun with no sunscreen. I'm not in the habit yet this year.





Sunday after church we pulled our trailer out of its parking spot and got it ready to go for the summer. As we were doing that Sekoya wanted to catch butterflies. She thought she found one.
Sekoya: " I found one with wings, but a long butt."
Jason: "Is it a dragonfly?"
Sekoya: " I think, but I don't think!"
We got a good laugh out of that one. After Katera woke up from her nap we packed them in the car and drove to Maple Grove. I have never been there. I moved here when I was in 2nd grade so I didn't go on the field trip. And that was too close for my dad to go camping. It was really neat. Other than it is posted 'no four wheeling' all over the place. We let the girls get out and go for a walk along the paths. Sekoya was having a great time exploring until a little water snake slithered across her path. Jason said she pointed and gasped and then burst out crying. I wish my girls didn't look like such orphans. The lighting was great and the pictures would have been great IF my kids looked decent.










Katera really dislikes the camera!! I have to be really sneaky in order to get a picture of her without a scowl. The first picture here surprised her. Then she kept screaming- Uh, Uh and scowling at me. Then she just blocked the lens with her hand.




















This waterfall was really pretty. Katera was funny to watch. Jason says she wears her thoughts and feelings on her face like I do. She went from a little nervous about standing next to water that was rushing so fast to, wondering where it came from, to amazement. She makes me smile!!









As we were leaving there was a snake all stretched out across the road. We stopped so Sekoya could get a better look at it (from inside the car). When we stopped though it slithered into the weeds and she couldn't see it. So Jason got out and grabbed it by the tail. I had to get a picture of that!!! He is freaked out by snakes so I was completely surprised that he did that. It was about a four foot long blow snake. The picture I didn't capture was when the snake started to curl up towards his hand and he dropped it and squealed like a girl!! It's OK Jas, we still love you even if you aren't the bravest guy around.

We stopped in Salina on the way home to eat dinner at Denny's. It was a really fun afternoon. We would love to spend a day there- BBQ lunch, hike, and play in the water- so if that sounds fun to anybody else let us know and we'll plan it.





1 comment:

Maridon Rappleye said...

Fun pictures and fun outings! Except for the snake, of course!